- One unexpired, nonperishable food item will erase $1 of overdue fines.
- Fees other than overdue fines are not eligible.
- Donations accepted at Columbus, Saluda, and the Bookmobile.
- Part of Hunger Action Month, a national movement to alleviate hunger.
- All proceeds will be donated to Thermal Belt Outreach Ministry.
Polk County Public Library is committed to providing community-focused service, fostering civic engagement, and supporting positive community change. Hunger Action Month is a movement to raise awareness of food insecurity and mobilize people to help end hunger. North Carolina has the fifth highest rate of food insecurity in the United States. In Polk County, 64% of students are enrolled in the free and reduced lunch program. Everyone in the community, whether or not they owe fines, is encouraged to donate food to help neighbors in need.